If you are a DIY-enthusiast or a professional mechanic who frequently works on construction sites, you need a tool known as the impact wrench. This incredibly useful tool is ideal for removing and fastening bolts and nuts. With an impact wrench, you can prevent a lot of common injuries that are associated with such jobs, besides saving a considerable amount of time. In this post, we will talk about buying an impact wrench.
Things worth knowing
The mechanics of all impact wrenches are almost the same, but before you buy one, you have to check for a few features mentioned below.
- Source of power. Impact wrenches can be powered by electricity, hydraulics, or compressed air. For heavy industrial and construction related work, you should go for products that run on hydraulics, which can generate incredible power. On the contrary, compressed air impact wrenches are ideal for mechanical work, including heavier jobs.
- Corded vs. cordless. Products in this category that are powered by electricity can be either corded or cordless. Electricity-powered models might not be as powerful as the compressed air ones, but these work perfectly for smaller needs. Cordless impact wrenches use rechargeable batteries, which make the product heavier but also adds to portability. The corded ones are lighter but the user needs to have a continuous source of electricity. If you are looking for the best cordless impact wrench, check online to find a few reviews.
- Impact wrenches are either inline or pistol. Inline impact wrenches look more like a big screwdriver, while the latter looks more like a pistol. The socket sizes can also vary, so as to work with different kinds of bolts and nuts. You will find quite a few online guides for comparing these points.
- Regardless of the shape and socket size, an impact wrench must generate enough torque, which is the measurement for its power. Some of the options may have multiple torque settings that are useful for different functions and tasks. Torque settings can vary, but you have to read the description in detail to know more about the technical aspects.
- Before you buy, do check the prices online, as that can be handy for comparison. Many websites have reviewed the top-rated products, and it’s important to pick the right brand and model that comes with decent warranty. Don’t forget to check the customer reviews, as well.
Check online now to find more on impact wrenches!